Posts Tagged ‘Portland Used Cars’
Searching for a high-quality, low-mileage family vehicle? Come test drive a pre-owned sedan or wagon at Damerow Ford! Whether you value style, fuel economy, features, or all three, we would love to show you our inventory of award-winners!
Most of the time, starting your vehicle is simple. Key goes in, key gets turned, engine turns over, and off you go. But what happens when that process goes awry? What should you do if the engine doesn’t turn over?
Clicking usually indicates a dead battery. Leaving the lights on after the car is stopped, as well as good old-fashioned time can run out this vital part. Keeping a set of jumper cables and a cheat sheet in your vehicle’s trunk or storage area is the first step toward helping yourself or a fellow traveler out of this jam. This guide from Via, the AAA magazine, and this diagram from the auto section of dummies.com are both detailed resources.
Silence could mean the battery’s cable connections have corroded past usefulness. If the car starts after you wedge a screwdriver (be sure the handle is non-conductive!) between the connector and terminal post, then your cables may need to be cleaned or replaced.
Dying after it starts is a serious problem, either with your fuel injector or the carburetor (whichever your vehicle has). If you have a carburetor, check the choke to be sure it’s opening and closing. If you have a fuel injector, take your car in for service immediately.
The vehicle cranks but won’t engage could indicate a fuel or spark plug problem. Check that fuel is reaching your engine and that your spark plugs are good.
Not starting on rainy days could mean engine trouble every day in an Oregon winter. If this is happening to you, check your distributor cap for moisture. Using a clean solvent – not gasoline, as it’s flammable and so are its fumes – turn the cap upside down, spray the solvent inside, and then dry it as best you can with a lint-free cloth.
It doesn’t snow very often in this part of Oregon, but it certainly does get cold and often there is ice on the road. Add in extra traffic, stressed travelers, and driving to places that you don’t visit very often, and a simple journey can become downright dangerous. Here are five tips to stay safe on the road this winter.
1. If you hit ice or a large patch of water, take your foot off the accelerator and do not brake. The same goes for going around sharp turns – your vehicle will lose traction when you hit the brakes. Letting yourself coast through a slick patch or around a corner keeps control in your hands.
2. If you start to spin out, keep your feet off the brakes and steer in the direction the car is going. Trying to correct will only lead to overcorrection, but steering into the spin will take you off the slick patch and is more likely to leave you facing the proper direction and able to move off to the shoulder or continue driving.
3. Pack a survival kit: fluids for the car, snacks, blankets, jumper cables, and a spare tire and jack. Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and always be prepared.
4. Leave extra time and distance. More vehicles on the road means more accidents, more traffic jams, and longer time to get from point A to point B. Leave more room between you and other cars on the road, to help avoid being the accident that closes a lane or two of highway traffic.
5. Do a complete and thorough check of your car before you hit the road. Make sure your fluids and tire pressure are at their proper levels, your windshield wipers aren’t worn out, all lights and signals work, the spare is inflated, and all belts are in good condition.
Have you ever been in or narrowly avoided a winter weather accident?
Searching for a pre-owned car that’s loaded with luxury? Check out our pre-owned inventory of luxurious models here at Damerow Ford! We make every effort to stock top-rated models with low miles that our customers will love, and we would love to help find the perfect fit for you!
On the hunt for a sedan that won’t break the bank on the lot or at the pump? We have several great options for under $16K at Damerow Ford! Check out our stylish inventory below and make your way in for a test drive!
Crossover vehicles provide a unique combination of versatility and fuel economy, and we have a great selection here at Damerow Ford! Whether you’re looking for luxury features or off-road capabilities, we would love to help find the perfect fit for you!
Are you searching for an affordable, family-friendly SUV? We have a great selection at Damerow Ford! Whether you’re looking for a versatile combination of space and fuel-efficiency or a full-size SUV for a large family, we are sure to have a model to exceed your expectations!
On the hunt for a warm weather sedan for the summer months? We would love to help find the perfect solution for you at Damerow Ford! With several affordable models with low miles and great fuel economy, we’re sure to find something you’ll be proud to drive. Check out our internet specials below and come in for a test drive!
With fuel prices remaining high, we have made every effort to stock top-rated, fuel-efficient sedans at Damerow Ford! No matter what you’re looking for, we would love to help you find a vehicle that will have you saving money at the pump. Check out our internet specials below!
Taking a road trip this summer? Travel in style with an affordable summer car from Damerow Ford! We have a great selection of great looking convertibles, sports sedans, and other vehicles that are also practical in terms of value and fuel economy. Come in for a test drive and discover the perfect fit for you!